According to the definition, a miscarriage occurs when the pregnancy is lost before the 24th week. It occurs contrary to the will of a woman carrying the child and in most cases is the cause for quite a lot of grief to the family and friends involved.
The majority of miscarriages occur in the first 10 to 12 weeks of the pregnancy and the chances for a miscarriage are known to be increased by certain factors.
As a woman grows older the chances of miscarriage are more. At the age of 20 to 30 the pregnancies ending in miscarriage is about 15 % while the percent of miscarriages increases with the age.
Why do most miscarriages occur?
- It cannot be said clearly why miscarriages occur. Most of the times it is a genetic problem and not because of carelessness. The early miscarriages are generally due to genetics and cannot be prevented.
- Some reasons of miscarriage could be heaving drinking and smoking. If you do not take proper care of yourself and take alcohol.
- Another factor could be that you are undergoing a lot of stress.
- At times medical tests could be the reason for a miscarriage.
Does a miscarriage mean some kind of health problem?
If a woman has a miscarriage that does not mean she has some health problem or she cannot become a mother again. There are a number of women who become mothers after a miscarriage and there are also women who had more than one miscarriage and become mothers. Though continuous miscarriages could be indications of some health problems and need medical help. At times medical tests could be the reason for a miscarriage.
What are the symptoms of miscarriages?
- If there is vaginal bleeding that could be followed by brownish discharge then it could a warning of a miscarriage.
- If there is pain in the lower back or abdomen then it could be an indication of miscarriage.
- Another symptom is pain in the pelvic area.
- A gush of fluid from the vagina without pain or bleeding.
- Spotting or bleeding without pain.
- Heavy bleeding along with severe pain.
If a woman experiences any kind of bleeding it is best to visit a doctor and have a check up. The doctor will check the shape and size of the uterus. She could also have an ultrasound to see the image of the uterus and baby. An ultrasound will confirm the heartbeat of the baby. You could also undergo a blood teat known as Complete Blood Count to asses the amount of blood you have lost.
When a woman loses a pregnancy it is recommended to take rest and proper care. It would be best if she could share her feelings with someone she loves and trusts. It will make her feel lighter and recover fast. Pregnancy after miscarriage is possible therefore the woman who has had a miscarriage should be consoled and convinced that she can give another try and that this is not an end.